Monday, February 16, 2009

Tutoring teaches me

It's humbling to face someone who expects you to have all the answers, to be able to provide help, no matter how difficult the question. That's not to say that all questions are unreasonable, but I have faced quite a few challenges. I'm a tutor at my college's new writing lab. I took a class last semester when I had the chance to tutor as part of the class requirement, but this semester it's actually a job. I'm paid to know what I'm talking about, and I worry that I may not be helpful enough.

Many students who come to the writing lab have the perception that I'm just there to edit their paper, whether they sit through the editing or not. I struggle to change that view when editing is a big part of my job. The goal of tutoring at the lab is supposed to be to help students become better writers, not just to have one slightly improved paper. Success is not measured by the grade on one paper, but on how the student is succeeding overall. I plan to teach, and as much as I complain about my work, this job is preparing me for one aspect of my future.

The Write Spot-The Lab Where I Tutor

I enjoy the challenge of finding the right key to open the world of writing and expression to a student. Regular students sometimes tell me, "I can't write." I tell them they can write; they just need to work on finding something they care about and a few editing strategies. The ESL (English as a Second Language) students I help are amazing. Many of them are truely trying to learn, not just fill a page. They want to improve their language skills and want to know the "why's," not just have a few errors fixed. That is a generalization, but I've found it true in most cases. I don't know if I'm cut out to be a teacher, but I do love challenges.

2 comments:

Ramblings of a Disc Jockey Teacher said...

You are going to be great! A teacher who loves a challenge is going to be one who will keep on learning how to be a better teacher. Keep it up!

Richard Lawry said...

Knowing that writing tutor might read what I write makes me a bit nervous.

An Arkies Musings